SARAH GOSS HARPIST
HARP EXPLORER 2020
June 29th - July 31st $450
Start arranging, composing and improvising your very own harp music!
This 5 week summer course is for established beginners and intermediate harpists who already have (or have had) lessons and want to explore the wonderful world of composing and arranging on the harp. We will not be learning set classical pieces or doing deep technical work. Instead you will be creating your very own cool compositions, building a collection of your own amazing arrangements, becoming an intrepid improvisor and contributing to a fun ensemble piece. Added bonus: all this will improve your aural skills, rhythmic sense and musical memory!
We will look at a different facet of harpiness each week for you to use in your playing. Sarah will personally guide you in using these skills as a basis for your own music and help you work them into your own arrangements of some well-known tunes. We will also put together an ensemble piece that will be premiered at the end-of-course online Showcase!
- Weekly group session to explore topics and hear works-in-progress
- Weekly 40min individual harp lesson with Sarah
- 2 x 15min check-ins each week with Sarah
- Ensemble part written especially for you to suit your level and instrument
- Playlist of example works for your inspiration
- Improvisation ideas and backing tracks to noodle over
- All course materials
- Unlimited virtual support
- End-of-course Showcase
This course takes place entirely online.
- A harp! Pedal or Lever
- Be at least 9 years old (adults welcome)
- Be able to tune your harp, play with all 4 fingers, have basic note reading skills and know how to play an arpeggio, a scale and triad chords in root, first and second inversions. Not sure? Ask your teacher or book a preparatory lesson with Sarah.
- Availability to attend a weekly group session, individual lesson and, vitally, be prepared to spend plenty of harp exploring time on your own to work on your material. The more time you spend playing the more you'll get out of this experience.
- Access to Zoom and means to record and video yourself (phone or ipad works great!)
- Access to a printer
- Music stand
DATES AND SCHEDULING:
The course runs over 5 weeks between June 29th - July 31st. Group sessions and lesson will be timetabled once attendees and availability are confirmed. If you cannot attend one of these weeks due to vacation etc that lesson can be deferred to the following week